TOGETHER... My Favorite Place to Be.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spanish Coffee Cake and more

I didn't make the posting of the cake for Tuesday's meme. But I thought I would go ahead and post it today.

I got this recipe years ago from a dear friend, Sharron Maloyed. In my teen years I spent a lot of time with her and her family (those of you who know me are chuckling right now!). Sharron is a pastor's wife and a wonderful cook! This recipe has been one of our family favorites. I have some pictures to share featuring this cake....

This is the first time Makenzi helped Mamaw in the kitchen.

I had dreamed of this day... baking and creating with my grand-babies!

I have cookbooks with lots of great kid friendly recipes and presentation ideas. I am looking forward to breaking those out in a year or so when she will really enjoy them.

Here is the finished product. It tastes like a wonderful cinnamony cake donut! I like Cool Whip on mine, but some like it just plain... either way it is yummy!

Here's the recipe so you can enjoy its yumminess, too!

Spanish Coffee Cake

Combine and then reserve 3/4 cup:

2.5 cups flour

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup oil

Add and mix well:

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 egg

Pour into greased 9x13 baking pan. Crumble reserved mixture over top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in a preheated 35o* oven for 30 minutes.

While still hot top with glaze made with:

1.5 c powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

enough water to make glaze

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Awww... what a sweet little helper you have!

I have a good coffee cake recipe, too... that I've made over the years. I've never tried it with whipped cream on it, though. I bet that would be yummy!

Tamara said...

Hey girlfriend! I have this recipe too LOL! and I use it often especially for overnight guest. I don't have much time for surfing the web but I happened upon your blog tonight and have enjoyed it very much...you have a very nice family....very distinguished I might add! Can't wait until I'm a meemaw too!
Miss you!
Tamara

Tamara said...

Hey girlfriend! I have this recipe too that I use alot for breakfast when entertaining. I don't get to spend much time surfing the web but happened upon your blog tonight...brought back alot of memories. You have a beautiful family...very distinguished I might add! LOL!
Miss you!
Tamara